Re: everybody outside today?

And I've been thinking that very same thing. Every bed I have is full of grass gone to seed. What a nightmare spring of 2006 will be! <LOL>
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 12:57 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] everybody outside today?

Sorry Cindi but I started laughing when I read ---

"Next year I will have my work cut out for me to clear

all
that. "

You sound just like me! :)

Actually, with everything happening at work and home
front, I have no time for gardening or anything else.
I hired two MG to do 'something' with the yard. Got
most of the weeds out, deadheaded things that should
have been cut back months ago, and the place doesn't
look too bad. I was quite amazed at how much they got
done in a day. I would never have gotten that much
done. Guess all that noticing and gauking takes up way
to much time.LOL!

So anyways, told them to come back after the frost
(which could be any day now) and finish off the rest.
At least next year I will have a head start!

So roasted peppers? baked them? fried them?

Donna

--- Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSR
<cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil> wrote:

October here is almost always gorgeous and so it was
this weekend, it was in
the 80s. Great gardening weather, too bad I didn't
do any. For the second
weekend in a row I managed to tweak my back so that
I can't move very well.
Last time it faded out just in time to go to work on
Monday, great huh?, but
this time it's taking a lot longer to go away. I
can't tell if it's from
overdoing at my yoga class last week or if I've
pinched a nerve somehow, it
doesn't hurt in the same place as two weeks ago. So
Saturday I tottered
around doing laundry, Sunday we went to a little
local festival where I
walked very slowly, and yesterday I did manage to
get into the vegetable
garden and get a lot of peppers.
Picking without bending at the waist is tricky but I
did okay, although at
one point I stepped into what I thought was a bare
patch in the middle of
the plants and it turned out to be a huge hole!
There is either a very
active gopher or a small rabbit out there. But I had
to do something, first
frost is in about 3 weeks and the peppers are still
good. Zucchini is
producing still and my tomatoes have come back to
life. No chance they'll
ripen but I'll get plenty of green ones. The
cantaloupe died all of a sudden
last week, don't know what that was about - one day
there was a huge patch
of leaves and ripening melons and the next day, dead
as could be. Maybe the
gopher? I picked what was salvageable and the
chickens will eat the rest.
In the ornamental garden, all the salvias are
blooming - especially the
germander sage (salvia chamaedryoides, I think). The
russian sage (not a
salvia) is really starting to get invasive, I'm
going to have to be ruthless
about pulling it this winter, but the bees are
having a great time on it. I
have asters, roses, still some blossoms on the crepe
myrtle and a couple of
the lilacs got confused and have put out a few
blossoms. The gaillardia and
coreopsis would be blooming, if I'd deadheaded at
all this year. Mostly what
I have is weeds. Next year I will have my work cut
out for me to clear all
that.
Anyway after I got all those peppers I figured I'd
do some canning, I can
stand up while doing that. I roasted and peeled
them, then pickled them. I
got ten half pints and would have had a lot more
except I ran out of jar
lids, so it was roasted peppers with chicken for
dinner.

Cyndi