RE: Why garden?

I've been on vacation (well, sort of, more about that later) so I'm chiming
in late, but I get this question from people I know fairly often. You've
seen me whining all summer about the amount of work I gave myself with my
too-big vegetable garden. Okay, this year was really too much, but normally
I do enjoy spending most of my summer gardening and preserving. Why do it,
they ask, when I could buy it so much easier? Am I saving that much money?
I always ask them how much money they save going to the beach. Or buying
video games. I have no idea if I save any money, but it's not about that. My
enjoyment comes literally from the fruits of my labors. I start with a bare
patch of ground when it's cold and nasty outside. I plant, I water, I see
the plants grow and become lush and abundant, I harvest. I enjoy the fresh
tastes all summer and I know that all of it came solely from my own effort.
How not to be impressed with a perfectly ripe cantaloupe when what you
started with was a 1/2 inch seed? When I have too much I gripe, but I'm
still feeling pretty smug about it, because I was successful. Too little,
and I gripe, but I know every year is different and things change. I might
not be able to preserve everything in my own kitchen but I can do a lot, and
in the middle of winter I make many a meal where everything we eat is
something we grew, including the meat. I open my pantry and among the rows
of gleaming jars are memories of the fresh turned earth, the smell of ripe
peaches or just-picked dill, lugging 90 pounds of tomatoes inside to
process, finding monster zucchini. I'll forget about the effort it took and
only be proud of what I accomplished (it's what gets me into trouble the
next year). Summer is right inside the door! You can't buy that, not at the
farmer's market and certainly not from Birdseye.
And the ornamental garden...to look out at the yard and see the pleasing
contrasts of colors and texture, the beauty of flowers...it lasts for
months. And it was my idea to put it all together; see how well that new
plant's doing, and look, there's a hummingbird nest. You can make plans for
things that will take years to come together, and isn't anticipation nice?
Well. Off my soapbox. I know plenty of people who choose a lawn with one
tree and two bushes, and have a gardener trim it all once a week. I don't
get it, but they say it takes all kinds.