Re: Ball gardens

I've always suspected that if we fiddled around with the internet long enough, Donna, one of us would find a parallel universe. Congratulations!

On Oct 27, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Donna wrote:

huh? was my thought- so googled it and came up with
maybe this?
http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/Wingmakers/ Pallalonian%20Solar%20System.html

Does this mean we can expect PALANON for friends of
plant addicts?

On Oct 27, 2005, at 8:41 AM, Lynda Young wrote:

Hello, my name is Lynda and I'm a plant
addict..............
Lynda
Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of TeichFlora@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:21 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ball gardens

I agree with what you've said, Kitty, and I didn't
take it as bashing
or

such.  Being in the landscape profession...be it
architect, designer,
or
maintenance, doesn't automatically make one a
horticulturist. I think
more and more
though....at least from what I've seen, people
that hire someone  in
the

profession are looking for someone that does have
some knowledge.
People are
tired of the "cookie cutter" look, or such.

In general, though, I think design is an overall
concept.  People  that
take
the time to actually come up with a design usually
do some  homework.
tend
to think of people that go for the seasonal color
alone,  or copying
something
they see in a magazine to implement in their
garden as more
"decorating"
than design.  One can see the difference, I
think.....a  designed
garden
seems to
have a purpose,  a balance.....be it with
repetitive plants or a
variety.  A
decorated garden, like a home  or even a
wardrobe....doesn't quite
balance
out.  It's more like a  mishmash of things that
don't quite "fit"
together.

I have come to realize that there are those that
garden and those that
don't.  I prefer the neighbor that at least puts
out something, even
if
it's
annuals, than not doing anything at all.  I've
also found that  more
often than
not, those gardeners that start out with the
annuals, will often  grow
into doing
more things, and eventually realize there is more
to gardening  than
annuals.
 Sure one winces at the choices, or the placement.
  Often it's just a
matter
of not having had someone to tell them.  But they
live and learn, or
have
someone that gives them advice or even shares
plants.
Of course, unfortunately in a few cases,  they
turn into plant nuts
who
have
way to many plants, where the idea of sticking to
a design or a
concept
no
longer wins out....and they are hopelessly and
irreversably addicted

plants.  Meeting people who turn them on to even
more types of
plants.....the
addiction then turns into obsession.....
surely there is medication for this???  12 step
program,
something??????
Help?
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 10/26/2005 11:01:16 AM Central
Standard Time,
gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:

I'm not  bashing all designers.  Design is
important, but not everybody
can agree on what is critical to a design.  Lots
of differing
priorities. Remember, design is not the exclusive
territory of
professional  designers

Island Jim
Southwest Florida