Re: Ball gardens

Ole! Ole!

On Oct 27, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Cathy Carpenter wrote:

Viva la plant nuts!!!

Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Oct 27, 2005, at 1:20 AM, TeichFlora@aol.com wrote:

I agree with what you've said, Kitty, and I didn't take it as
bashing or
such.  Being in the landscape profession...be it architect,
designer,  or
maintenance, doesn't automatically make one a horticulturist. I
think  more and more
though....at least from what I've seen, people that hire someone
in the
profession are looking for someone that does have some knowledge.
People are
tired of the "cookie cutter" look, or such.

In general, though, I think design is an overall concept.  People
that take
the time to actually come up with a design usually do some
homework.  I tend
to think of people that go for the seasonal color alone,  or
copying something
they see in a magazine to implement in their garden as more
than design.  One can see the difference, I think.....a  designed
garden seems to
have a purpose,  a balance.....be it with  repetitive plants or a
variety.  A
decorated garden, like a home  or even a wardrobe....doesn't quite
out.  It's more like a  mishmash of things that don't quite "fit"

I have come to realize that there are those that garden and those that
don't.  I prefer the neighbor that at least puts out something,
even  if it's
annuals, than not doing anything at all.  I've also found that
more often than
not, those gardeners that start out with the annuals, will often
grow into doing
more things, and eventually realize there is more to gardening
than annuals.
 Sure one winces at the choices, or the placement.   Often it's
just a matter
of not having had someone to tell them.  But they  live and learn,
or have
someone that gives them advice or even shares  plants.

Of course, unfortunately in a few cases,  they turn into plant
nuts  who have
way to many plants, where the idea of sticking to a design or a
concept no
longer wins out....and they are hopelessly and irreversably
addicted  to
plants.  Meeting people who turn them on to even more types of
addiction then turns into obsession.....
surely there is medication for this???  12 step program,
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

Island Jim
Southwest Florida