Re: Beautiful day, but...

Jim,

That's good news. If I'm not mistaken, Marathon is Imidacloprid, now available as Bayer Advance Tree and Shrub Insect Control liquid. It's in Home Depot and all of the Garden Centers. Not cheap, but since you're targeting the root system of the plants and not spraying it all over, it's not bad, either, for a plant or two.

Side note- I've had my pesticide license for 10 or 15 years, so I can buy from the greenhouse suppliers. A package of Marathon granular is expensive, but it lasts practically forever. I think I paid about 100 bucks for 5 pounds several years ago.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Beautiful day, but...

Hi, Daryl. The cycad gurus say the most promising control is the systemic "Marathon," which is not available to Harry Homeowner--and very, very expensive even to the pro guys. Most other stuff doesn't work worth dog poo. We've used Talstar for the last 2 years; it knocked it down but didn't eradicate it--apparently it migrates to the plants roots when the going gets tough and comes roaring back as soon as toxic treatments stop. Talstar is also expensive and not readily available to Harry. About $100 a gallon last time I looked--and you've got to really search to find a vendor who will sell a pint or two.