Re: OT- ovens/ranges

My grandma had a wood cookstove. I learned how to choose the right kindling & how much of what type of wood to put in the stove for baking vs frying. Bacon & eggs in the morning was a quick hot fire that would be burned out in an hour or less(pitchy fir kindling with one 2x3 stick). Bread or a cake in the oven needed a slow hot fire that kept even heat for an hour. Same start with less kindling and 3-4 4x4 sticks. You checked the fire every 15-20 minutes after the baking went in & added a stick if needed to keep it going. As I recall, she kept a pot of water on the stove over the oven & gauged the oven temp by the "simmer" of the water in the pot.
That was a nice memory to recall. Thanks Auralie!
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT- ovens/ranges

Since we bought our first house in '54 I have never had a conventional
"range." I have always had the oven separate from the cooktop. And
since we moved here in ''70, I have had a gas cooktop and an electric
oven. Just seems to work better that way for me, and if we are out of
power I can still cook. Until we redid the kitchen in '92, my ovens had
always been above the counter. Now I have two large ones below the
counter, but not beneath the cook-top, which is on an island in the
center of the room, with storage room below.
In fact, when I was a child, living with my grandmother in Florida, the
oven was on top of the kerosene stove she used in the summertime
when she didn't want to heat up the large wood stove. I'll bet no one
else remembers primitive arrangements like that!

In a message dated 10/01/2006 10:57:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,