RE: Digest response - Theresa's Mom and Alzheimers

You are having a very difficult time, Jesse and you and your family are in
my prayers.

As for your mother's situation, She really needs to be diagnosed.  That
combative/defensive reaction is part of the symptoms.  I hope your dad can
trick her into going to see the doctor.  There are drugs on the market now
for Alzheimer's and dementia that will slow the progression for a better
quality of life.  Had I known my mother's condition even before dad died, I
would have taken her to the doctor myself, against all protests.  (Living a
state away with my father-in-law dying of cancer didn't help me keep on top
of her needs, sorry to say.  We all thought she was just grieving for dad
after he died.)  The point is that the earlier the diagnosis, the more can
be done to slow the progression, even if we don't yet have a "cure."  That
allows time for planning the way your mother would want it, too...getting
affairs in order, deciding on treatment and care down the road and such.

My mother is now on the maximum dose (two medications) and it has given her
at least 3 years of a better quality of life.  She has been able to maintain
her favorite activity, embroidery, even if it will never be the quality she
used to demonstrate.  It gives her great pleasure to be able to "create"
something and give it away.

Bonnie (SW OH- zone 5)