Re: Today in the garden-NOT

Our official destination was Defiance, MO. Took US 61 south and then
southwest on State 94 parallel to the Missouri River. The sites we
visited were in Defiance and Augusta, MO. The two nurseries we
visited were Frisella and Wine Country Gardens - both worth a stop.
As I understand it, when German immigrants saw the Missouri in that
area, they were struck by resemblance to the Rhine river and decided
that grapes would be a good commercial crop. There are vineyards all
along the Missouri on both the north and south banks. The city of
Hermann, MO, on the south bank of the river on State 19, is our
favorite destination. The Stone Hill winery there is one of the
biggest and oldest in the state, and has a nice German restaurant. We
once did a drive that included wineries on both banks of the river!
Also, the KATY trail, an old railroad bed, runs along the north bank
of the Missouri. For those that ride bikes, an excellent experience.
Would also recommend for those going down that way, a side trip to
the Shaw Arboretum (now known as Shaw Nature Center) in Gray Summit,
MO, just off Interstate 44 - a wonderful native plant/hiking experience.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b