RE: Social security overflow, change the law

It has been this way for a very long time.  My Father-in-law retired from
the military (Army, Navy and Air Force during WWII, Korea and various other
conflicts via a few years as a reservist) took a job with the railroad and
retired from there.  Since he was not a Commissioned officer, his service
pension wasn't much and because the government had oversight of the
railroads, there was a conflict between the two and they tried to deny him
any pension for the railroad service at all.  He got a much reduced railroad
pension and had it not been for his wife's SS, I don't think the two of them
could have made it at all.  The ordinary government worker doesn't get that
great a retirement.

To top it off, the veterans used to get their medical care taken care of,
but as my FIL had his last bout with cancer, that changed.  At his age, he
couldn't even get additional insurance to cover the expenses.

Chris, I'm surprised the State doesn't use TIAA/CREF for their employees.
Even though mother only worked part time at a local school, she received
fair benefits (not fabulous, but fair.)  Most who have taught in the public
schools in Indiana or Ohio will have fair retirements due to TIAA/CREF
investment strategies.  Bill will get some for about 12-15 years of service
to an Indiana educational institution.

Did you mother not get any previous notice as to how her retirement would
work out?  Didn't she get SS notices periodically?  I get them every couple
of years.  DH and I aren't depending on any government support because we
are the last of the baby-boomers and don't believe it will be there for us
when we need it or it will be so reduced, it won't help much.  Besides the
squeeze from us baby-boomers, we are all living longer lives.  More people
in the system means less for each individual.

I believe that many models are built on the premise that a retiree's house
will be paid off, there will be only one car that will be paid off, that
working expenses will be greatly diminished and so one will not need much to
live on.  We all know that a perfect outlook such as that is a fantasy.  A
fixed income can't possibly account for all the things that could go wrong
and cost a fortune.

O.K.  I'm off my soapbox now.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)