RE: SS overflow, change the law

Hi Noreen, I am not paid more, the big "advantage" is as you say, no tax on
that part that was formerly my pension.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of TeichFlora@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 6:47 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] SS overflow, change the law

My dad and DH have the same thing.  Both had/have disabilities due to  their
knees (hurt on the job).  The "reasoning" for taking the disability  pay out
of your paycheck is because it is tax free.  If they left it in the
it would be taxable.  This way they send it to you  seperately....tax
Question is.....was the initial amount added  originally...so that the
servicemember with the disability is actually paid  more, or are they just
them a break on a small amount of their  paycheck?

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 10/7/2006 10:06:28 AM Central Standard Time,
gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:

Hi Cathy  and all,  I retired from the military in 1999.  Since the  only
> survivor I had was my daughter Lauren, (at that time age 14) I  talked it
> over with her, and she thought that it would be better if we  opted out of
> SBP.  As time has gone by, I truly feel that is the  best option.  Just a
> little note on how the govt treats retired  military.  I was diagnosed
> hearing loss due to my job in the  military, which made the loss "service
> connected".  I was awarded  a 10 percent disability, the cost of which is
> deducted from my  pension.  How many retired senators or representatives
>  can
> identify with this?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.