Re: Re: Bad weather in Texas

We are in Denton, Tx tonight... on the way to Houston. Hoping that the
storms will be gone by the time we get there mid afternoon tomorrow.

I loved seeing all the color on the way down. The sumac is so beautiful
and the ivy in the green cedars along with a beautiful sunset.

  Noreen is it better tonight or is it still storming?

Pam Evans <gardenqueen@gmail.com> wrote:
  We've had up to 7 inches in one day and it was OK here. Of course I have a
pier & beam foundation, and my property is on a slight incline towards the
back. All my beds are constructed to stand up to temporary run off
conditions and it works well, even when the driveway resembles a river.
Makes me wonder if I should have been a civil engineer - LOL.
And this clay will soak up a LOT of water. The streets flood of course but
that is only temporary. But that hasn't happened in a very long time.

On 10/18/06, TeichFlora@aol.com wrote:
> I don't know Pam......Houston is used to flooding and has areas in every
> subdivision for run off water to help control flooding...and even have
> a group
> of very knowledgeable folks who's full time job is flood control. Areas
> have
> pumps that kick in automatically if they flood, etc. etc. etc. and yet
> we
> still flood despite these best efforts.
> Many cities flood with as little as 5 inches of rain.....so one
> never knows
> what would happen if it ever rains that much in a short
> time. Water levels
> have a way of rising up so quickly that pumps, storm drains, etc. cannot
> handle it. Hence the word Flash flood. Look at the San Antonio/ Austin
> and hill
> country area with all the hills, they thought for sure they would never
> flood.....HA! a few years ago, they had serious flooding problems that
> overwhelmed many.
> I guess you have to have experienced that much rain, and the problems
> to not
> wish for too much.
> Noreen
> zone 9
> Texas Gulf Coast
> In a message dated 10/18/2006 11:03:02 AM Central Standard Time,
> gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:
> what's even funnier is I wish we'd had the 10 inches and you had
> 2. We can
> absorb it easily and you can't. Lavon's little better than a mudhole,
> Tawakoni isn't much better. Cedar Creek is low but not terrible because
> of
> the storms that skitter east of here and don't get to this side of the
> lake.
> We need about 30 - 40 inches to start getting caught up.

Pam Evans
Kemp TX
zone 8A