Re: Still not gardening

Let me know how the chipotles work out. What kind/size smoker do you have, Cyndi?

On Oct 23, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

I spent another weekend not in the garden, and it's kinda getting to me.
Glorious weather too, but I was short on time and energy for it, sigh.
Saturday I have a riding lesson at 10, so I try to do my household
chores before that. I figured I'd get into the veggie garden that
afternoon. But when I got home husband said we were going to go look at
a horse around 3, which really didn't leave me enough time to get
outside and do stuff. Sunday morning early I went hiking, came home and
picked red jalapenos, and then we went looking at more horses.
I did get the jalapenos into the smoker on Sunday, I'm trying to make
chipotles. Don't know if it's going to work yet; we just pulled out the
first batch this morning and I haven't tasted them. No way I'm just
going to crunch on one so I'll have to find a quick recipe using them.
This morning we popped the top off the smoker and I was leaning over it
to check them out - that was a mistake - I spent about five minutes
coughing with my eyes all teared up, and there wasn't even any visible
smoke. My husband said he could smell it all the way out in the front.
They look good though but not all the way dry, so I put the moister ones
into the dehydrator...and then I moved the dehydrator into the garage!
Our horse activities are taking up a lot of time but I can see that
eventually I will be able to do other things, it will just be a matter
of time to settle into a routine. Right now I'm taking some lessons and
we are looking for a horse to buy for me. Husband is also doing lessons
on our gelding we bought during the summer, and it's coming along well.
We went camping with my sister and another friend last weekend, and we
did long trail rides out into the desert. I like my scenery a little
more vegetative and less rock, but it was pretty nice. Saw six desert
tortoises (two babies!), a baby rattlesnake, a tarantula, a huge owl,
kangaroo rats, and innumerable jackrabbits.
No frost yet but my zucchini look like they got blasted by cold. Oddly
enough, there are few other signs of it - even the basil still looks
good. I was looking to see if I had a pathway for cold air flow, maybe
that's what got the squash, but I can't really tell. Keeping my fingers
crossed that I will have time enough to get out there and get the rest
of the basil, green tomatoes, and peppers before it does freeze; it's
still relatively light when we get home from work, but I only have a few
days of that left.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W