What a mess!

I won't begin to try to explain all that has gone into this situation, but
my DH has been obsessed with "decommissioning" our 1000 gal.
in-ground oil tank.  It was to be replaced with a 330 gal. tank in the
breezeway, which would just about put an end to my nice garden
there.  Well, it was going to happen, so I just tried to keep my
mouth shut -not a thing I'm especially good at.  So here's how
things have gone.

To "decommission" the tank, it would be necessary to dig it up
and wash it out.  The tank is directly below the dining-room window
and under a bed of plantings.  Yesterday a crew came to dig out
the plantings, which included a two large azaleas, a 3-foot Mugo
pine, a nice dwarf pieris, and numerous choice perennials - three
different hellebores, several varieties of epimediums, hardy
geraniums and pulmonairas, a nice Paxistma canbiyi, several
liriopes, numerous bulbs, and some other things I can't think of
right now.  They were all put in pots and stored in the garage,
supposedly until the tank was installed, at which time they
would be replaced.
Today another crew came to install the tank.  First of all, they
decided to put it in the garage instead of the breezeway, although
the nice bed of ivy had already been dug out.  Next, they discovered
that there were 696 gallons of oil in the old tank, and the new one would
only hold 330 gallons.  After much noisy arguments and much arm-
waving (I just came in my office and shut the door while all this was
going on) it was decided that the thing to do would be fill the new
tank, but not attach it to the furnace.  We must continue to use the
oil from the old tank until it is nearly gone.  Considering that the last
time it was filled was in February, that seems as if it will not be used
up until midwinter, at which time it would be much too late to replant
the poor plants stored in the garage.  So it looks as if I will have to
live with a rough, empty bed in front of the house until next spring.
The crew will come tomorrow to heel in the displaced plants in the
garden.  And to top it all off, the last thing this afternoon was the
discovery that the car is three inches too long to fit into the garage
with the new tank positioned as it now is, so some further
arrangement will need to be made (and it's not as if I drove a
Cadillac, either - just a Chevy Malibu Maxx.)
As I said, I am trying to keep my mouth shut - so I'm sounding
off to you guys, where I might have sympathetic ears.  There have
been some tense moments in the 53 years we have been married,
but this is near the top.
Auralie