Re: Wedding Flower Help

What about Torenia? That won't close inside if it's only there for your wedding and the purple ones are so pretty.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 1:01 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Wedding Flower Help

If you want to use flats of flowers, I really like violets. Some of the
newer varieties of impatiens almost look like roses and can be found in
purple shades. Neither require much light. (There is a wide range of
purples!) Purple basil would provide great foliage if you wanted lighter
purple colored blossom to go with it. For something trailing, you could use
"Sweet Pea Streamer Purple [Lathyrus odoratus Streamer Purple.] It has a
great scent as well. You could nestle a small pot of their delicate
blossoms. You could wrap the pots with plastic wrap and cover that with a
coordinating wedding color fabric, trimmed with coordinating wedding color
ribbon as you gather the fabric around the pot and tie a bow in the ribbon.
You can purchase or make small wreaths of foliage and set the pots in the
center of the wreath on the table. (The wreaths allow you to make something
smaller look larger with out buying great multi gallon pot sizes.) At the
reception, these can be given away as gifts to your guests. You could do a
smaller version of this for each place setting with a smaller pot/wreath
combination in the center of each table.

To be really honest, Sue, your choices are as great as your imagination.
You can use any blossom. What flowers will you have in your bouquet? It is
perfectly acceptable to add artificial flowers to "real" flowers if you want
to add that continuity. But your best bet is to use your and your fianci's
preferences.

I really like the idea of using flats of blossoms because that will bring
down the cost of table flowers dramatically. Depending on how many flats
you would need, I'd contact several nurseries this fall to see if they would
order the blossoms you want early enough for them to be in bloom for your
big day. I'll see if I can get time to put together some other annual that
bloom in that time period and send them off later.

Blessings,
Bonnie