Finally a gardening weekend

We had the most gorgeous weather this weekend, it was a joy to be
outside. I tackled the weeds out front again and gained another four or
five feet on the lawn part, where we had removed the lawn last year and
not replanted it. I am battling a huge number of bizarre weeds now but
oh well. I also cleared some weeds of the garden bed there, deadheaded
the achillea and started pulling out the gaillardia. Kind of hated to do
that but I cannot keep it deadheaded during the summer and it looks bad
if I don't, so out with it. We have enough of it growing now along the
edges of the lawn and some other areas that I can still have some
growing and not feel bad about neglecting it. But it will take me months
to clear out the actual garden beds I'm afraid (and I am still not sure
what I want to do with it all in the long term...I need more drought
tolerance there). I am putting out enquiries to people I know who have
gardeners, just to get the basic stuff done and give me time to do other
things.
Like, for instance, mowing the front lawn - I am embarrassed to say we
haven't mowed for weeks but at least it was only about 8" tall. I wasn't
brave enough to try the back lawn. The dogs have been after gophers
there so there are huge holes plus long grass, a person could fall in
and never be seen again. We'll have to fix that eventually, it's on my
20 page to-do list. Plus the sycamores are way overgrown so to mow the
edges you are fighting your way through branches. Having them hang down
to the ground like that is a pretty nice effect when you're sitting
under the tree but not so great to mow around. I should have had them
trimmed last year but I was feeling broke at the time. Husband says we
can do it ourselves but I had a flashback to the last time they got
done...the tree trimmers brought in a cherry-picker and this huge
shredder, it took them hours to do the two trees. I am thinking it might
be worth the thousand dollars just so we don't have to deal with getting
rid of the debris let alone climbing up to saw off branches.
Oh yes, the end of the sprinkler adventure. The first thing husband did
when he got home Thursday night was go to the store and buy a cap for
the sprinkler valve, sawed off the valve and glued on the cap. Shoot, I
could have done that but I figured why not fix it just once. But he
wasn't willing to wander out to the street every time he wanted water,
which is what I was doing. Saturday he started digging around and
discovered the shut-off valve for that system about 18 inches below the
surface, completely corroded, wouldn't have done me any good to find it
when the valve broke anyway. He replaced that and moved it up so you can
get to it and then replaced the sprinkler valve. So that's done.
Not much blooming out front since it's so neglected, a couple roses is
all, and some eupatorium - can't remember the name of it, it's a light
purple flower. A few Shasta daisies too. They never did bloom much this
year, perhaps they need dividing. In the dry garden, salvia greggii
looks okay as does the Russian sage, and the zauschneria is blooming
like crazy. Desert willow is still blooming too. In the veggie garden, I
salvaged the last of the Italian peppers and found a few bell peppers
and a couple eggplant. Sadly I never got around to doing much with the
Anaheims, I was too discouraged with the whole pimiento fiasco and hated
looking at the whole thing.  I have a few bags of roasted Anaheims but
that's all. Maybe this coming weekend I'll pick what's left if the
chickens don't get there first.

Cyndi