Re: checking in / happy fall!

This is not being a happy fall in these parts.  We are so terribly dry.
I don't even like to go down to my garden - everything is wilted or
drying up.  The bean vines are drying on the fence, and the beans
that they do produce are limp.  Some people are raving over the
'beautiful' weather.  We have been having temperatures in the
70 degree range in the daytime and 50s at night, with brilliant
sunshine. A long day's rain would be my idea of a beautiful day
right now.  The pond is down to a mud-hole.  After all the other
problems I have had with the garden this year, I am really getting
discouraged.  Add to that we are beginning to worry about our
water supply.  Since we are on a well, we don't dare water with
the hose, and my old back can haul only so many buckets of
On the positive side - after our crazy winter and spring, my
flowering quince produced the heaviest crop of fruit ever, and
I have made 18 glasses of beautiful jelly.  I had to go out and
buy jelly glasses, since my son had thrown out my large
collection of them when he cleaned out our basement last
spring.  He said at that time "you'll never need them."  Oh
well, I'm still here.