Re: Baby chics update...

We have 18 chickens at the moment. 10 older birds plus the 8 chicks I bought this spring.

We're not as bad off as we might be. When they ran county water past our place a few years ago, they said it would be $50 to get a meter then, or $500 later, so we got the meter. Of course they forgot to tell us that there would be a minimum charge whether we used it or not. After getting billed for - I think it's 3000 gallons per month for several months, we dug a ditch and put in a water line to the house.

At least we don't have to do as we did in '86. That year, Bill had to bring 5 gallon buckets of water from the shop, and he showered there, while I used the shower at the gym. We had enough water for cooking and for 1 or 2 loads of wash per week if I saved the wash water for flushing. We've had the pump dropped about 20' lower since then. Shows how dire our drought is.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Baby chics update...

OH WOW...that's terrible. That sounds like Pam's summer last year. We've lost trees and plants too, from TOO MUCH water. They just rotted. I hate to see plants get ruined like that..it's just sickening.

 How many chickens do you have?  I know they have to have fresh water...

Daryl <pulis@mindspring.com> wrote:
Oh please send some rain. We're in a stage 4 drought - no outdoor watering.
Some counties have only 5 weeks of water left.

Our well has only about 20 minutes at full flow. Enough to get water to the chickens, not enough to save the trees and shrubs. The Hollies and Magnolias
are wilting! I've lost several Japanese Maple, the Illicium, and probably
the Viburnums. I've been trying to save the Hydrangeas and the major trees,
but there's just not enough water in the world. I carry every bit of rinse
water from shower and sink to the garden, but it's not enough.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse Bell"
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 5:07 PM

Daryl, we have had a very wet spring and summer. It's bizarre. We
normally have burn bans from July through the next spring just about. We
have had flooding and water damage all over the state. Feast or famine
these days. I wish I could send some your way....

Jesse R. Bell