From: "Aplfgcnys@aol.com" <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To:
gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 5:25:31 PM
Subject: [CHAT]
Bragging allowed?

We put on a flower show today against heavy odds.  On
Tuesday we were
told we could not get in to the building to set up our show
until this
morning,
even though the show had been scheduled for months.  The
manager of the
Park is an erratic person who likes to jerk us around this
way, although he
is trying to get the District to donate a large sum of money
to his project to
build a great conservatory.  After much argument he said we
could get in
for two hours yesterday evening.  Two hours is not really much
time to set
up for a flower show, but we managed to get it together pretty
well in spite
of pouring rain.  This morning we were there at the crack of
dawn to put on
the finishing touches, and it all came together by the time the
judges were
ready.
  I had been afraid the Horticulture would not be up to our
usual standard.
The weather had been so terribly dry that many things were
just gone.  Then
two days ago the rains came, and it turned pretty cool - down
in the 50s.  I
don't complain about the rain, because we needed it dreadfully,
but it didn't
make life easier.  Anyway, our small club of 10 active members
produced
a Horticulture Division of more than 100 entries, 55 of which were
blue
ribbon winners.  The entries were open to the public, but only two came
from outside the club.  In fact, only seven of us actually made horticulture
entries.  My ten blues was a respectable showing, but nothing to the 26
that
one member took home.
  I forgot to say that this was a specialized sort of
show - a Petite Show.
Every entry, both design and horticulture, was petite.
All the designs
were limited to 5" or 8", and all of the horticulture was
required to be
naturally small or designated as miniature or dwarf by a
nursery or grower.
We turned out a very pretty show, and I am proud of us.
Auralie