Re: gourds

I have to tell you to that the last time I grew birdhouse gourds was in Missouri when we lived there. I grew them on a chain length fence. When we found out we were moving I boxed them up and they have been in my attic in a box most of the 10 years we have been here. It is amazing how durable they are. I grew some Corsican gourds since we have lived here and now I am having fun painting them like the ones I saw in California this year. They make beautiful pumpkins for fall decorating. I want to plant some of the seeds next spring that I got out of some of them to just see how long the seed stays good. Fun!
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] gourds

Depending on the size of the gourd (I have Corsican gourds this year that are quite heavy and when they dry I have to sit them on something, not hang them, because of the weight). If it is a bird-house gourd or something in that range, I would let them hang on the vine until the first frost. It gives them all the growing time they need. They do not have to hang on the vine all winter, just pick them or cut them off (I leave some of the stem on it) and put them in a relatively dry place until next summer (garage or shed). Usually it will develop a black or dark grey mold on it while it is drying. This is normal. While drying, If the gourd puckers or wrinkles, or looks like it is shrinking some, then it was not mature enough to pick. The late season gourds do that sometimes. You know the gourd is dry and ready to craft with when you shake it and you can hear the seeds rattle a little bit inside. When you are ready to do something with them, take bleach and water and scrub them down with a Brillo pad or steel wool. That gets most of the dried on mold off of it. AND - last but not least - when you are cleaning out the insides of the gourd, or using a drill or sander on them - DO IT OUTSIDE. The dust is killer - even if you don't have allergies. Trust me on that one....

Bonnie Holmes <holmesbm@usit.net> wrote:
This is the second year that I have tried to grow gourds and I now have a good number of them...still green on the vines. When do I pick them? How do I let them dry out before I do the finishing that was suggested earlier?

Bonnie Holmes

Jesse R. Bell