Still no gardening

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Still no gardening
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:55:44 -0700

Still not much gardening going on at my house, although we did have a
nice weekend. Went to a wedding Friday on a big yacht in Newport Beach
(very ritzy!). Got home about 7 pm and thankfully we missed the
horrendous truck crash and fire that closed the big freeway interchange
we take to get home. We didn't hear about it till my sister called the
next morning to make sure we were okay, but I guess it made national
I did manage to clear weeds out of another four feet or so of the
cottage garden out front. It isn't a long term fix because I was pulling
out two types of grass that both spread via underground runners. I have
no idea what one of them is, the other looks a little like Bermuda grass
but isn't. Guess it doesn't really matter what they are, unless I
bulldoze it and cut off the water, I'll be battling them for years to
come. But what I've done looks better for the moment and as it looks
better my morale goes up and I'm more willing to keep at it.  I am
pretty sure I'm going to hire a gardener to mow and get rid of leaves
over the winter months. I'm still debating (dithering would be more like
it) about getting professional advice on redoing the area. I did talk to
a friend who had a local company give him some advice on xeriscaping. I
looked at their website and went "Yuck"; they apparently have only two
looks, either gravel with a couple cactus plonked down or bare dirt with
a strip of lawn, a few rocks and some accent lights. I may not know what
I want yet, but I know that isn't it.  My friend didn't like it either
especially after they told him it would be $40K to do his yard!