Re: So Cal's annual fire event

So far all I have heard is that some fires were started by downed power lines and at least a couple they think are arson. One unusual thing in these fires is the number of fires that have been started by embers carried forward in the wind. I think this whole episode started out with large fires in maybe 3 areas -- then embers started many more of them and today they were counting 16 or 17.
--Barb, Grass Valley CA
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] So Cal's annual fire event

Have been watching everything on the news, and feel for all the
evacuees. Have yet to hear the actual, immediate cause of these
fires. lightening strikes, insufficiently extinguished campfires,
deliberate arson, etc. It is a given that southern California was a
tinderbox waiting to happen, but something struck the spark... and
all I have heard is Santa Ana winds, drought, and global warming.
Contributing factors, yes, but where is that spark?

Cathy, west central IL, z5b