RE: got my loquat planted/ now need tree recommendation

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: got my loquat planted/ now need tree recommendation
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:56:15 -0700

I see both kinds here, the chilopsis native and the chitalpa hybrid.
There's no denying the chitalpa is a more attractive landscape tree. It
still blooms all summer too. My personal preference is for the native -
I like its more unkempt appearance I guess - and where I have them
planted I want that kind of look. I have not seen the named varieties in
local nurseries either, which is odd, you'd think they'd be all over
considering how well-suited they are to this climate.