RE: Strange fall weather
  • Subject: RE: Strange fall weather
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:06:03 -0700

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary here. Fall weather is
usually the best and so far it has not disappointed; no freezes as yet,
nice sunny days without wind and cool in the morning/evening. That is
sure to change in the next couple weeks. In the mountains where we camp
the oaks and willows turned, they are gorgeous, and we went riding
Sunday in more local mountains where the sycamores are actually looking
quite pretty - my sycamores only turn brown, not sure what variety they
have up there.
We just don't get a big variety of birds in my area and I haven't
noticed anything unusual. Maybe there are fewer mockingbirds this year?
Despite good intentions I rarely manage to keep the birdfeeders stocked
so they don't hang around the back yard to be observed. There are always
a couple hummingbirds and I have seen them this year.
But we did see the cutest little owl this morning on the way to work, he
was sitting inside one of the drain things on the curb. Probably a
burrowing owl. If I'd had the resolution on my phone set correctly I
could post the picture I took of it. Sadly I am still figuring out how
to work the thing. You'll just have to trust me that the pic looks good
on my phone.
I didn't order any bulbs this fall - I try to take pictures in the
spring so I know where to put new ones but didn't get to it this year.
The front has some big holes where I lost a couple rosebushes so I'd
like to fill those in with other plants next spring. One of the silk
trees in the dry garden died - some kind of wilt I guess - so after we
pull it out this winter I'll probably replace it with another chilopsis
(desert willow).
If I had plants in my new office they would also be turning colors, not
only do I no longer have windows but it is a steady 66 degrees in here
and I'm freezing. However this is a good chance to use all those fleece
throws I don't need at home and I don't really care how eccentric I