RE: Bermuda grass wars

Believe it or not, I've had a hard time getting lily-of-the-valley going for
me too.  I finally have a decent stand after 10 years.  Perhaps I have mine
in too deep a shade and in an area that is on the dry side being overhung by
huge trees and the front porch steps.  It is my favorite fragrant flower to
the point I wanted them for my wedding bouquet some 34 years ago.  Of
course, it is impossible to find them in August in the mid-west! LOL!!!  I
had to settle for having some rayon substitutes made (allergic to silk) and
spraying a perfume that smelled like lily-of-the-valley on it.  On the
positive side, my bouquet never wilted!

I hadn't remembered mother's Chinese lanterns having runners and taking off
everywhere either, but from my personal experience now, they most certainly
RUN!!!  I keep pulling them out of my tansy and folks say tansy takes over
the world!  My poor tansy is just a small clump this year because of the
encroaching Chinese Lanterns.  I hope to remove enough runners from the area
or find a new area to put my tansy so I can have a better, healthier stand
next year.

We had a linden tree die this spring and there is a 1' deep hole where the
tree used to be.  I think I'm going to put an oval lasagna bed centered over
that hole and with the edges of the oval just at the drip line of the tulip
tree on the right and the plum tree on the left.  The area would have
afternoon/evening sun and morning shade there.  I've got a number of plants
I want to get into the ground before this fall is over and a number of
others I need to divide next spring, I'm sure!  Despite all the flats of
plants I took into work this year, there will be more next spring.  :>)

One month FREE spam protection at http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnetsig/