Re: a friend looking for a plant id

My first question would be - is it a true cactus, or another spiky succulent? Quick way to tell, does it have areoles? They are the cushions of wool or (bristly hairs - glochids - in the prickly pears) from which spines emerge. I am not an expert, but from a quick look at the photo, and the appearance of the flower, I'd guess it was a non Cactaceae succulent.