Re: Question about overwintering annuals

The FG forum, Over the Fence, has had a recent discussion on winterizing
tender plants, but it quickly fell into a specific discussion of Salvias
which I don't like so I haven't read it thoroughly.  Go to:

You'll probably get steered to a Log in page first, but you can log in as a
guest then go to:  General Discussion - winterizing tender plants

You've provided a big list.  Some are bulbs, some tropical/subtropical
plants.  I've been dabbling in both kinds for just a couple of years so I
don't have a very broad knowledge base to share.

In The Plantfinders Guide to Tender Perennials, Ian Cooke writes that most
Abutilons need to be kept frost-free and prefer a temp of 50F over winter to
grow comfortably. Older plants can then be pruned hard in late winter.   If
you mean Pelargoniums when you say non-hardy geraniums, I don't think
they're worth it unless you're trying to develop a tree form or you have
some of the new zonal types.  They are propagated by cuttingsin early autumn
or early spring, using low humidity.  Overwintering pels must be kept
frost-free 45-50F.  New Guinea Impatiens also don't tolerate frost.
Overwinter at a min 50F.  Lantana is poisonous (all parts) so be careful if
kids or pets would have access.  Fuchsias can be overwintered in a
frost-free environment and also respond well to cuttings in autumn or
spring.  Gerberas (Transvaal Daisy, Barberton Daisy, Gerber Daisy) are hardy
to Z8, but more than that I don't know.  Elephant's Ear could mean many
plants: Caladium, Alocasia, Colocasia, Elaphoglossum, Enterolobium.  Let us
know which.  If it's Caladium, Caladium World's website will give you the
details.  If it's Alocasia/Colocasia Marge has written good info on that.
The other 2, I couldn't tell you.

I've found that for some plants, you're better off with cuttings.  If it is
a shrub like Strobilanthes, Persain Shield, the plant gets woody and doesn't
look nice the next year.  Cuttings also take less room.  I overwintered an
Osteospermum last year with terrific results, but it was constantly thirsty.
I'm going to try cuttings this time.  Some I keep in the attached garage
that can get down to 40-50 (depending on where in the garage and outside
temp) while others spend the winter on my light stand in the family room.
Strobilanthes doesn't survive in the garage.

I hope some of the others have some practical experience for you.  I'm
pretty new at this too.