RE: New varieties for 2004

> Have you
> tried any of the new introductions for 2004?

I ordered the CD not so much for myself but for our Trial Garden and for use by
any speakers at CES.  The head of our Trial Garden had mentioned she is getting
seed for the Gypsophila, so when I saw it on the list I figured it would be
helpful to have it. (I draw up the Self-guided tour at our gardens and it helps
to have photos - it is sometimes difficult to find photos of new
introductions)

Personally, I've not been too "into" annuals, but in recent years I've come to
appreciate them more.  However, I still tend more toward tender perennials that
are reffered to as annuals here.  I have a large sunny bed out front  - well,
large for me - that, because of the Silver Maple, I can't plant perennials in
it.  At least none that I'd be able keep there long.  I have it tilled up every
spring  with a monster-tiller and replant.

The AAS winning Wave Petunias have been a blessing out there for the past few
years.  And last year I utilized a very pretty moss rose in an apricot color
scheme.  But this year I changed to featuring deep red-purple plants.  Last
year's AAS winning Pelargonium 'Black Magic Rose' has deep purple zones on the
leaves and the bright cherry flowers add brightness.  Other red contributions
include Alternantheras, Purple Fountain Grass 'Rubrum', and another AAS winner,
Millet 'Purple Majesty', and a Cordyline.  Silver Squill has the color on the
bulb and leaf undersides.  Greens include Osteospurmum and my tnder bulbs that
summer in the soil - Tulbaghia, Amaryllis, Agapanthus, and Theresa's Queen's
Tears.  I do let a volunteer Cleome or two grow to full height if well-
positioned.  Last years moss roses reseeded and i've let them stay too.

I use a new, bigger, thicker Portulaca and Diascias for accents and several
Persian Shields, other Alternantheras, and my very first Pansy in other front
borders.  this week I'm going to have to seriously consider what will/won't be
saved over the winter - plants to dig, cuttings to take.  Lows are still 50 and
50+, but I see 40s coming soon.

Sorry, Sheri, I sort of got off the topic - annuals - my appreciation is
growing, I'm just not quite there yet.  I don't do - don't like - baskets and
other containers for myself, but do appreciate them elsewhere.

Kitty