From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of kmrsy@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 7:39 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] common mistakes/nightshade

Donna,
Googling Deadly Nightshade will bring up Solanum dulcamara and Atropa bella-
donna.  The RHS database attributes the name only to Atropa bella-donna.
The
Solanum obviously is a nightshade but they show its common names to be:
BITTERSWEET; WOODY NIGHTSHADE; BITTER NIGHTSHADE; BLUEBIRD; CLIMBING
NIGHTSHADE; FELLEN; FELLONWOOD; FELONWOOD; FELLONWORT; FELONWORT; MAD DOG'S
BERRY; MORTAL; POISONOUS NIGHTSHADE; RADICAL WEED; SCARLET BERRY; SCARLET
EGG
PLANT; VIOLET BLOOM

I don't know which one I dug out and brought to class, but it had a woodier
base and wasn't vining.  This however could be attributed to repeatedly
being
cut back to keep at a desireable size, but never all the way.  Sort of doubt
it
as these beds weren't being carefully tended.

Kitty