Re: colchicum.

Mardi, glad to see you're enjoying them even if the wind does them in a little
too soon.  It is sometimes hard to find a spot that is sunny but protected.
Either now or next spring plant a low groundcover over them to help support
them next year.  And remember, they do multiply, so long as those spring leaves
get the sun they need, so you'll have more in the coming years.  I bought one
bulb of Colchicum aggripinum as the price was fairly steep (it has come down
NOW) First year one flower.  Second year one flower.  This year four flowers
and possibly more!  Your C. speciosum is more showy and prolific than that,
though.  Hopefully a few flowers on each bulb first time around. In a few years
you can dig and divide.