RE: Isabel

Marge - glad you sustained no serious damage.  It's good to have you

Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Marge Talt
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 9:57 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Isabel

Reporting from Potomac, MD where we *finally* got our power back at 4:30
AM after 6 days and 13.5 hours of existing in the dark, which served to
remind me why it is that I'm not fond of camping.

Luckier than many; roof intact, no flooding, only about 50 feet of deer
fence taken out but entire property looked like someone with a giant
chipper-shredder had been having a ball; all ground surfaces covered in
about 2" of "mulch" plus incredible amounts of woody bits and branches.
Lost most everything in the freezers and fridge....ice was a commodity
not to be found around here.  I had stocked up with 3 bags and a 2nd
cooler, but that only lasted a couple of days and not enough space for

Kids came over with another cooler and their 1.5 bags of ice on Saturday
and worked like beavers clearing off the front drive and "lawn".  I
spent Friday and Saturday repairing deer fence and been clearing up
since - still a long way to go.  Have picked up enough wood to build a
majestic oak so far.

Logged on just now to over 1,500 emails, so at least it does not seem my
ISP bounced anything.

Hope to see as I wade through my mail that everyone else in that storm's
path has survived and thrives.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics : http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635