Re: Isabel

In a message dated 09/29/2003 9:38:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bkelson@ix.netcom.com writes:

>      This past March my area had a major snowstorm and we were without
> power for 4 days. We also were on a well and it RUNS ON ELECTICITY. I hope
> you have a back up generator, because we didn't.

Betsy, we have a small generator that runs the water pump, freezer,
refrigerator and furnace - no lights.  We were low on gas when the blackout hit, and
the filling stations were not able to pump gas without electricity.  We ran the
generator for an hour, then turned it off for an hour - did this several times
until the lights came back.  Only after about the third time the pump didn't
come back on.  Couldn't get it to start.  Couldn't get an electrician or the
pump people because it was late Friday.  Fretted all night, but the next
morning the pump came back on all by itself.  Never did figure out what happened.
  It took me a lot of talking a few years back to persuade my husband, sons,
the electrician, etc. that we needed a generator.  Finally they gave in just
to shut me up - laughed about Ma's folly.  We have been very thankful several
times since.  I hope you can get one, too, even if it's just a small one like