Re: return to cabinetry

Marge,
You obviously (chuckle) don't recall (giggle) my messages last year (he-he) about the cabinet job. (LOL)
Craig was an idiot, but it wasn't apparent until after I signed the
contract in MAY and gave him a down payment. A year before this he had
purchased the long-standing privately-owned cabinet company that had an
excellent reputation (until he ran it into the ground). He planned to
start my job as soon as the materials came in and finish it before a big
job he had scheduled. Then the excuses started - parts hadn't arrived,
he got sick, went into the hospital, couldn't find any help, etc - on
and on until I finally got him to start the job in OCT. It was only
because of my sheer determination that he finished it by Thanksgiving.
At one point I was banging on his door at 7am Sun morning demanding that
he show up. The reason he couldn't get any help was because he didn't
pay them. The main reason my job finally got finished was because I
arranged to make the final payment in 3 checks - 2 directly to the
employees. I made Craig sign a statement that he'd received payment in
full.

I found out from these employees that Craig had contracted all these
jobs and used the down payments to pay for his wedding and honeymoon.
Then he got behind and spent his time running all over town spending a
couple hours at each job trying to keep customers happy but not
accomplishing much. He lost several good business contracts. During the
many weeks it took to do my job there were problems with doors and
shelves - too big, too small, warped, grain going wrong direction, etc.,
so that pieces had to be remade. I'm sure he lost money on my job, but
the guy just did not know how to measure. Admittedly, all but one
cabinet was custom made - I have a weird kitchen. In the end I had some
crooked handles, goopy glass, one slanting shelf, the world's worst
countertop, and some missing moulding pieces, but all in all it looks
pretty nice. I just wanted that guy out of my house!

He's been out of business now for quite a while. The house he lived in
on the property has been razed, the manufacturing buildings are up for
sale. Phone is disconnected. No one is going to back any warranty.

Kitty