RE: cannas

Hopefully someone else will respond to this with more experience....

Pam (bless her heart) sent me some in March (?), way to early to plant
outdoors here in zone 5. I did pot them up and they continued to grow in
my sunny front window till I could move outdoors. Other folks in this
area do start them in pots to get ahead start on the season....

I have stored them in the basement (cool, but heated) some years it
works, others they rotted. Since conditions and pre-storage concepts
where exactly the same, not sure why.

What I don't know is if they need a dormant period? Jim, Pam do they
grow all year for you?

Donna

> Another question- I have just received some large canna roots from a
> person
> that can leave them in the ground year round.  Since my climate is too
> cold
> for that, what is the best way to store them?  I can put them in the
> basement of my husband's office next door.  It is extremely damp in
the
> basement (there is an exposed sump pump system for flooding), and I'm
not
> sure how cold it is down there.  The furnace is in the basement, but I
> don't
> believe that the basement is heated.  The house is heated by hot air,
so
> there is duct work that might keep part of the basement cooler.
There's a