Re: Plant Thugs

I've used both the cloth you get at Home Depot or Wal-Mart or most retail nurseries and the really heavy duty stuff that nurseries use in their container plant areas. Big difference. With both, I treated the areas with two applications of Roundup--to make sure the vegetation was truly dead--before tacking down the cloth.

One area is the front patio, that I then covered with those cheapie 18" by 18" concrete pavers with cypress bark mulch as grout. The second area is a walk that is made of miscellaneous concrete and clay pavers with small sea shells as grout; it also has a patch that is only small sea shells. The third area is a rather large bed where my 30-gallon pots of pineapples and sundry other stuff are located. I have a 3" thick layer of cypress bark mulch on top of the cloth and the pots and stuff on top of the mulch.

What I found was that weeds seeded them self in the grout. They didn't come up through the cloth. But they definitely try to put their roots down through it.