Re: Plant Thugs

It was the best I attended so far. No big name speakers (unless you count Pat Lanza of 'Lasagna Gardening' fame - I found her talk more "inspirational" than practical). First day I toured the University of Illinois horticultural sites (Champagne-Urbana), including their MG "Idea Garden" (outstanding), the AAS beds, the Japan House Japanese inspired garden, the teaching greenhouses and conservatory, and the Illinois Natural History survey insect and plant collections. In terms of lectures, I really enjoyed a two part "Diagnosing Plant Problems" three Ohio State University Extension folks, Jim Chatfield, Joe Boggs, and Erik Draper. They team taught using woody plants as an example, covering twenty questions the master gardener should ask and answer to avoid making a misdiagnosis. They were as knowledgeable as they were amusing. There was also an excellent class on surfing the net for plant related issues. Also took a salsa making workshop - we got to take home the results. It was great just getting away and being with other gardeners!