Ivan still

Chris and Eva, and any other NorthEasterners, did you get washed away?  I
know how much rain we had Friday night and yesterday, but it was more than
we've had in years.  Our downstairs (only a couple of feet below grade in the
totally below grade in front) had about 2 inches of water.  It just seemed to
through the walls and up through the floor.  Probably because we have been so
dry for so long everything had loosened up.  Anyway we've spent some hours
mopping and moving things  to higher levels.  I really feel for those people
had real flooding.  This is just a mess - no real harm done.  The biggest
was a large chest filled with DH's lifelong collection of automobile
dating back to the 1930s.  (Well, I keep old gardening magazines and

In fact, it has forced us to throw out a lot of things that should have been
long ago.  It has also forced him to reorganize his workspace.  Since he
he has made his office in the downstairs rooms, and stuff has really piled up.
This spring when I moved my indoor plants outside, he set up a table in the
space under the lights where my large pots live in the winter.  He was saying
maybe those pots were too large to bring back in - he can't really handle them
any more and we would have to have someone come to help him - so maybe
I should let them go and start some new plants.  I can see the reasoning
behind this - from various viewpoints - but I just can't bear to leave some of
these things out to freeze.  I had been about to decide to let the very large
old hibiscus bushes - three of them - go this year and start over, but they
haven't finished blooming - they are full of buds.  Oh well.  We will be gone
this week, and will  have to make the decision when we get back.  There
is always the possibility of frost before we return, and that will settle the
question.  I'm not really ready for the end of summer, but it was 49 degrees
here last night, so I'd better get ready.

Hope the rest of the East Coast bunch stayed reasonably dry.