Re: RE: Fringed hibiscus

From your description of their cultural requirements, I am curious what part of that huge country (China) they are from.
Do you know?
Cathy
On Thursday, September 23, 2004, at 08:22 PM, David Franzman wrote:

Hi Andrea

I'm back from getting my daughter out of the hospital once again. She has
spent one month out of three in the hospital this summer.

Now on to the Hibiscus that you call Fringed. The botanical name is (I'm
going to misspell this) schzopetalus or Chinese lantern. I had 30 of these
plants but their frenquency of blooming and the delicateness of the flowers
made transporting them and showing difficult. They also need huge
quantities of water and plenty of shade here. Demur is how I would put
their flowers.

DF

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrea H" <hodgesaa@earthlink.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] RE: Fringed hibiscus

Well Poop. David, are you out there? Someone needs to send you some
cuttings
to grow!

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC

----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org> To: <gardenchat@hort.net> Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 4:45 AM Subject: Re: [CHAT] RE: Fringed hibiscus

Don't know, Andrea. The one I photographed is at Selby Botanical
Garden. "Plant Finder" doesn't list any growers. I recall doing a
Google search once and not finding anyone who had them for sale. I
probably would not have known about them at all if a customer at the
nursery had not asked one of the designers to incorporate some in her
landscape at about the same time I was reading Julia F, Morton's "500
plants of South Florida [1981]," which has a picture of it on the dust
jacket.

It has a weepy growth habit, somewhat like the Crape Anderson hibiscus
[the one that's grown as a small tree]. The flowers are really
sensational.