Re: Katrina/ gas

Like many other cities around the US, Houston has opened up the city,
literally, to all.  Lifeline helicopters and ambulances evacuated the  people out of
hospitals to bring them here to our hospitals, especially  Childrens
Hospital. Hotels have been filled to capacity, often housing  entire families in one
room, however, the people were only prepared to stay  for a few days, and don't
have the funds to stay for weeks or months in  hotels.   The Astrodome got
bus loads of evacuees, were supposed to  get 25,000 only from the Superdome, but
bus loads of others showed up.   Most churches are open, schools, and other
facilities are becoming  shelters.  Several of the largest furniture retailers
have emptied their  warehouses and put in beds, etc. to house emergency
evacuees.  Schools are  open for the kids, and the city is trying to get people's
bank accounts, social  security checks, etc. transfered so that the evacuees can
gain access here in  Houston. Restaurants, hotels, stores are offerning major
discounts to  evacuees.  Sports events and other places are giving away
tickets to  give some type of activity to get their minds off the situation even
for an  evening.  Counselors are on duty all over the city at shelters to  deal
with the stress level.   Houston is grateful for the help they  recieved a few
years back during Allison, when the city was flooded badly by the  45 inches
of rain...it is the least Houston can do, knowing what it is  like.  However,
the numbers of people are overwhelming, especially when  they say it will be
months before they can go back to try to start over.   Everywhere you go here
in Houston there are people from Louisiana, they are in  shock, their futures
are so insecure, and their frustration is often quite  visible.
Here in Houston, we have not experienced any significant increase in gas
prices.  Prices rose 2 to 5 cents this week, as they have in past  weeks.
Average about $2.50 per gal.   No shortages or lines at  all....not yet anyway.
Georgia and eastern States are effected by the  pipeline that was shutdown that
supplies the area, they said that it would be up  and running in days though.
I cannot imagine not being able to return to ones home for months.   The
thing that most seemed to be amazing though, is the lack of  preparation.  One
would think that FEMA, Homeland Security, etc. would be  more prepared for this
type of thing....it is not like New Orleans hasn't known  this exact thing
could happen. Combined....the fed. gov't. terrorism worst  case scenario
preparations, and La. gov't preparations for this type of  event....would have had some
type of plan in effect....if anything to protect  the levy system, get people
evacuated, or at least get help in there in a more  timely manner.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 8/31/2005 7:08:52 PM Central Standard Time,