Re: OT: I swear I'm going to run away to a deserted island

Theresa, that is awful! Why do people prey on others? There are a lot of
things I'd like to have but I wouldn't in a million years take them from
someone else, easy or not. And in this case it's a terrible violation of
your grief. People should console one another when there's a death in
the family, not take advantage of them. But some people read obits just
for that reason, so you have to watch out. An attorney or someone should
have advised you to change the locks immediately after his death; that's
standard practice. I do hope you are able to get some of his things

-- Theresa <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
So-  this will be a rant, so anyone who doesn't have time or energy,
press delete now.

My husband and I drove up to clear out more of my deceased father's
house, pack more things, etc.  Got there and after about a hour I
realized stuff was missing.  Like the grandfather clock he build by
hand...other clock movements/parts, sleeping bag, who knows how many
tools from the garage are also missing.  I was so upset, I was just in
shock.  How horrible of a person do you have to be to steal stuff from a
dead person's home, while the ashes ("cremains") are still there in the
house!  Just the yuckiest sort of feeling for us in the house, felt so
bad about the entire thing and freaked out.  Worse, I think it may have
been a friend of the woman who is renting the "in-law" suite and has
been since February.  Called the police, they came out and took a
statement and description of some of the missing items (which I'm sure
are long gone and I won't see again), as the day progressed realized
more and more stuff was missing, realized the the renter's friend Bill's
story was conflictory.  Clearly they had plenty of time, as things were
hand-picked and unusual choice of stuff not to steal (like they left the
tv's, stereo and computer).  Got madder and madder- I think I've used
all the adenaline up in my body.  The creeps had stashed some of the
tools in the garage into the trash can and trunk, clearly to come back
and get more loot later.  Also, we looked into an an old storage shed
need the street, and found more stuff they had moved up there and stored
to get later too.  We moved everything back into the garage- that should
at least frustrate someone. (I guess I will extract what little vengence
I can at this time).  We replaced locks on everything in the house and
garage, barred the windows, unplugged the garage door opener and then
slid the garage door lock over and put a heavy-duty lock on it too.  I'm
going to make it as annoying as possible for whomever to come back for more.
Now I'm just really tired and feel really sad.