Re: Cat Introduction

Hi Cathy,

I have introduced three cats, one at a time though. My old vet gave me the following method. It worked each time. Takes a little bit more time to do, but seemed to smooth things over nicely. When you first bring in the kitten do NOT let the other cats see it. Pick a room and keep the kitten there for the first day. The other cats will smell it, but their usual routine will continue and so they will not percieve it as a threat. The next day, move the kitten to a different room. Let the other cats into the old kitten-occupied room by leaving the door open. Do not force the cats to go into the room and don't change their regular routine. Keep moving each day until the kitten until the kitten smell in through out the whole house. Only then start to introduce the kitten. When you do this keep your adult cats at a bit of a distance and pay attention to your existing cats (not the kitten). Try brushing or other favorite activities with your existing cats while the kitten is visible. after a little while, return the kitten back to one of the rooms, and give everybody a chance to settle back down. If you do this for a couple of days, for increasing periods of time, it should help smooth the transition.

Hope this works for you as well as it did for me.

Theresa

Cathy Carpenter wrote:

Not gardening, but since there are cat people in the group, thought I would ask for hints on introducing a young cat to older ones in a household. (i saw a grey and white kitten in our local pet store recently and thought about a replacement for Jason.) I would like to have another cat, but don't want to traumatize either the newcomer or those cats established in the household. Any ideas out there???

Cathy, west central IL, z5b