Re: rain & weather was: Another Question/Elephant Ears

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] rain & weather was: Another Question/Elephant Ears
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:03:37 -0400

6 mos of drought absolutely sucks.  Esp.in your heat.  It has not
been that bad here - we had a wet spring, but it's hardly rained
since July - couple of rains, but the heat just evaporates it and in
the woods, the trees suck up what doesn't just evaporate.  Mulches
don't help as they only stop the evaporation, not the tree roots.
Problem here is that plants have evolved to expect water, unlike the
native Texan plants who expect dry in summer.  So, even natives
suffer when it does not rain - oaks are browning and dropping leaves
like mad and it's a tad early for that.  I can water 2 hours in one
spot and come back 2 days later to find bone dry soil.....sigh.  Know
you have the same or worse.

You must like that heat  - I have arthritis myself, but would
probably expire from the heat before it helped it:-)  I'll never
forget my summer at Ft. Hood, TX - even coming from mid VA, that heat
was like a blast furnace:-)

Well, here's hoping that Rita loses her punch or changes direction to
miss the Gulf Coast but causes some nice soaking rain to hit your
place (skipping over Houston and points east-west & south of it).

Jim is it going to affect you badly?  Do you know?  Sounds from our
weatherpersons like the Keys are going to get the brunt of this one??

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs