Re: Rita update

Anyone that was in an area that had a mandatory evacuation, and even those
that were in a voluntary evacuation didn't have to report to work.....no matter
 where, unless they were essential.  Then they evacuated their families, and
they stayed.  We know several doctors that were on call at the Texas  Medical
Center downtown, some had their families evacuated, others  didn't. Employers
could not punish those people for not showing up to work,  but they did have
to call in, etc.  In areas where there was mandatory  evacuation....everything
was pretty much shut down anyway.  We were in  a voluntary evacuation area,
so it was his choice to go to work, it was  Wed....storm wasn't to hit until
Sat. morning.  All of Houston and  surrounding areas had a shelter in place set
for Friday and Sat....which meant  nobody went anywhere, all businesses, etc.
were shut down.  Most are still  shut down until at least Monday.  Schools are
closed till the middle or end  of week depending on where they are.
Many areas still have no electricity.  Right now most people are doing  clean
up work at their homes, etc. Nothing will resume normal operation until it
is deemed safe to return to normal activity.  This makes it difficult since
very few gas stations, grocery stores, etc. are open.  Most people who  stayed
stocked up on essentials for a good week, so nobody is starving or
such.....however, it makes it difficult for people coming back not to be  able to get
things.  Neighbors and businesses are helping  each other out.   People are just
now slowly coming back into the  city, most will probably not come back till
Monday or so.
Finally heard from one friend who lives in Beaumont, they evacuated in  their
travel trailer, so have a place to stay even when they finally are able to
come back.  They dont' know about the condition of their home or their
beautiful gardens and greenhouses......from what they have seen and heard, it's  not
good.  Have not heard from the friends who live in Orange or Port  Arthur yet
though.  I'm sure they evacuated though.
Rita kicked up a serious heat wave around Texas.  Corpus had 106  yesterday,
was 100 at 8 p.m., San Antonio had 104.  We were fortunate and  still haven't
hit triple digits, but these 15 degree above normal temps are a  killer either
way....thank goodness we have power, but for those that don't it's  rough!
Thanks everyone for caring and for the prayers, etc.  Sure  means an awful lot.
zone 9
Texa Gulf Coast
In a message dated 9/24/2005 9:16:43 PM Central Standard Time,