From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:03 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Labor weekend

I finally got through all the mail you guys generated. Sounds like everyone
had a pretty good weekend and there was even some rain where it was needed.
We labored much over the Labor Day weekend but alas, not much of it was in
the garden. Mostly we are adjusting to the new horse. Thursday we had corral
fences delivered to extend the two stalls. After looking at the original
installation we decided it didn't take as much space as we'd expected and we
were able to give them more room, so we bought the extra. So, take down the
old, move the horse out of the way, take down the cross-fence to allow in
the delivery truck. All I can say is thank heaven the delivery guys were
willing to install the new fences, because they were 24' long instead of 12'
and correspondingly more heavy, and while I'm not weak I'm no match for guys
- husband and I would have spent hours wrestling those things into place and
instead it took maybe
45 minutes.
Since we just gained so much time we then put up the fences for the 50'
round pen. That was only a couple hours too. Of course it's getting hot by
then so we collapsed in the hammock under the tree. But husband could not
rest...he decided to start the concrete work under our vehicle gate.
Between the back and the front there are several big gates, and this one had
a long section of cattle panel - very heavy welded wire - over the ground to
keep the dogs from digging out. We decided that we didn't want the horse
walking on that and if we dug a trench and filled it with concrete right
under the gate, it would work as a barrier. So off he goes with his shovel.
It's dead of summer of course, this is the desert, so the ground was like
rock. The shovel was discarded in favor of a pickaxe. After watching him
turn beet red within seconds I figured I'd better help so there's the two of
us, pickaxing away at a 12' long trench. Then we had to go get the concrete,
25 bags at 60 pounds apiece which we loaded into the truck. Then we mixed
the concrete and filled the trench, and since he was mixing, I got to move
all those bags again.
And when we were done with THAT, I went for my 3 mile walk with my friend,
who was getting snarky about me giving her all these excuses for not walking
because I was busy with the horse.
So that was Thursday. If you think that was a lot of work, why yes it was,
thank you for noticing. :-) I'd also like to know why all that calorie
expenditure didn't show up on the scale. Life is not fair. But anyway...
The good part is that what we did on Thursday was my husband's entire to-do
list for the weekend. He got a lot more little jobs done over the next few
days so that was helpful. We worked the horse a number of times, quite
educational for all of us. I picked bell peppers and stuffed them for the
freezer, and I made pesto and froze it. I had to tackle a heck of a lot of
grass in the herb bed to get to the basil, but the worst of it is out of
there. The basil has gone to seed pretty much but I cut it back and with
luck I'll get another few cups of pesto before it freezes in October. There
are few zillion peppers, I have plans and just need the time to deal with
them. Zucchini and cukes still producing but a massive attack of aphids has
arrived - I sprayed with light oil, so we'll see if I did any good. Maybe
I'll go in there with the hose and spray real hard in a couple days. I'm
getting enough eggplant to make me happy, there are no tomatoes to speak of,
and the melons are pretty much worthless. I'm not growing honeydew ever
again - despite reading many descriptions I am having terrible luck guessing
when they're ripe, either I get dry and tasteless or fermented melon bombs.
I like cantaloupes better anyway. I'm surprised I am not getting much okra,
I thought that was like zucchini in terms of mass production, but there are
only a couple pods a day out of maybe six plants. Not enough water maybe.
I had planned on digging and moving a lot of bearded iris but never got to
it, that needs to be done. The dry garden still has russian sage, salvia
greggii, germander sage and the desert willow blooming. I haven't seen the
zauschneria blooming yet and I'm kinda curious why not. There are a few
roses and the sedum is making big blossom heads but they are not open yet.
Liriope looks very nice this time of year with its purple spikes, I should
start dividing some of the bigger clumps.
At our fair I talked to a guy from one of the local conservation districts,
he has native California juniper available. I have been looking for that for
my back fence so next month - if I remember - I'll drive that way and see if
I can get one or two. He said they grow slowly but I'm hoping with a little
extra water I can speed it up. He also said that they are pretty hard to
germinate which may explain why I never see any seedlings around the one in
my yard. I am sure having a time getting stuff to establish back there. But
I have two mesquite planted this spring that look pretty good, another two
saltbush, and even the manzanita is not looking too bad. The elderberry all
croaked, oh well, and one each of mesquite and saltbush didn't make it.
Well...another ten or fifteen years I guess before it looks good...then no
doubt we'll decide to move.

Cyndi