Fw: Old Bulbs Gazette Sept 19, 2006

If you already subscribe to this catalog just delete this message.
----- Original Message -----
From: newsletter@oldhousegardens.com
To: zsanders@midsouth.rr.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 5:43 PM
Subject: Old Bulbs Gazette Sept 19, 2006

Friends of Old Bulbs Gazette

Old House Gardens, 536 Third St., Ann Arbor, MI 48103, (734) 995-1486

        "You're supposed to get tired planting bulbs. But it's an agreeable

        -- Gail Godwin (born 1937, American novelist)

5 Extra-Rare Daffs and 4 More Hortus Tulips For Sale (Finally!)

        Please forgive the delay. Things have been a little hectic here lately
(see below). We hope you'll agree these treasures are worth the wait.
Quantities are very limited, so . . . don't delay!

        heat-loving, fragrant Minor Monarque, N. x italicus, 1809

        Marionette, primrose and gold miniature

        "pink" Rosy Trumpet, 1928, better than Mrs. Backhouse?

        Depression-era Shirley Temple, curly-haired double white

        Vireo, green-eyed jonquil from Grant Mitsch

        Cardinal Rampolla, dusky gold, burnt orange, and cinnamon

        Golden Standard, Silver Standard's golden twin, from 1760

        Victorian Julia Farnese, "supremely elegant," says Anna Pavord

        Papillon, 1914, smoldering garnet and gold

Farewell to Rachel (a.k.a. Wonder Woman)

        Over the past five years, many of you had a chance to get to know our
terrific VP for Just About Everything, Rachel Murphy. Sad to say, Rachel left
us a couple of weeks ago for a much bigger pond, the world headquarters of
Borders Books. With her terrific organizational and people skills, we expect
she'll end up as a vice-president there, too! We sent her off with our best
wishes and tons of gratitude.

        Losing our master-organizer right before fall shipping has been a bit
traumatic, but our amazing crew has stepped up big-time and we're looking
forward to a great fall. Thanks for your patience and support as we all work
extra hard to serve you fabulously well.

We Start Shipping October 1, and Now is Still a Great Time to Order!

Monitor Calls Scott the "Indiana Jones of Heirloom Bulbs"

        The headline made us laugh, but April Austin's article about us in
this highly regarded national newspaper is terrific. To read it (and see a
photo of "Indy" in our trial garden), go to
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0913/p16s01-lihc.html .

Link of the Month: Heirlooms and Murder

        Regan Culver is the prime suspect in the poisoning death of her
father. But don't worry, it's just for fun. She's the herb-farming,
plant-loving main character in Rosemary for Remembrance, one of an
entertaining series of garden-themed mystery novels by Audrey Stallsmith.
Audrey is a great fan of heirloom plants, too, and at her website
www.thymewilltell.com you'll find, along with excerpts and reviews of her
novels, a score of articles about heirlooms ranging from fritillaries to
maize.  (Be sure to scroll down the text of her homepage and click on both the
"heirloom plants" and the "historic plants" links.) Happy reading!

Your Garden Memories: Carrots and Croquet

        Nancy Wygant is the lead gardener at Bartram's Garden, the
Philadelphia homesite of colonial botanist John Bartram
(http://www.bartramsgarden.org/), where every fall she adds a few more of our
authentic, 18th-century tulips to the gardens. She writes:

        "The first yard I remember was mostly steep, with just a little flat
area around the house. Then when I was twelve we moved to a house with a
bigger flat space, and I wanted to have a vegetable garden. But my mother had
waited all those years for a flat lawn on which to play croquet, and she
wouldn't let me dig it up. She told me I'd have to plant my vegetables in our
gently sloping back yard, in the glorious high shade of several mature oaks.
My carrots grew no thicker than pencils there, and it's a wonder I didn't give
up. But it was worth letting my mother keep her croquet lawn. My parents were
active in the local Victorian Society and a vintage dance group, and every
summer they hosted lawn parties where all those folks gathered in their
Victorian whites on our front lawn, played croquet, and sipped lemonade. It
was a marvelous sight!"

Did You Miss Our Last Newsletter? Read It Online!

        Last month's articles included Domino magazine's Germinatrix blogs
about us, more hollyhock memories, Tulipa acuminata in the herbs, a Byzantine
testimonial, why we don't start shipping till October 1, and more. You can
read all 54 of our back-issues at http://oldhousegardens.com/newsArchive.asp .

Share Our Gazette with a Friend!

        Please help "Save the Bulbs!" by forwarding our newsletter to a
kindred spirit, garden, museum, or group. Or if a friend sent you this issue,
click here to SUBSCRIBE!

Remember: We will NEVER share your email address with anyone!

To Guarantee That You Get Your Next Newsletter . . .

       Please add newsletter@oldhousegardens.com to your email address book or
safe/approved list today.

To Unsubscribe

        We hope you find our Gazette helpful and fun, but if not simply email
us at newsletter@oldhousegardens.com with Unsubscribe as the subject and we'll
drop you from our list immediately.