Wet, but productive day...And just how much room should I give a 1 gallon pot of hosta 'Sum and Substance?'

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: [CHAT] Wet, but productive day...And just how much room should I give a 1 gallon pot of hosta 'Sum and Substance?'
  • From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan" wmorgan972@ameritech.net
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:06:23 -0400

The weather forecasters said it would start raining around noon.  I thought
that would make it the perfect day to put some of the things I'd been
holding for the new lasagna bed into the layers and clear out the tree clump
on the SW corner of the lot and plant the things I'd been holding for it
there.  (I'd already killed the Virginia creeper and the poison ivy in that
area, I just needed to pull up the leftover debris.)  I went out and pulled
the tags so that I'd make sure each item was planted in the most likely
place for it to survive and thrive.  I was on the computer maybe 5 minutes
doing the research when I heard the rain pouring down on the roof window.
It was just pouring.

About 10:00 there was a break in the rain, so I was able to put in 8 plants
and edge the SW corner tree clump before it started to pour again.  The dogs
are very unhappy that they missed a dry play period outside today.  Of such
is life.

The one thing I didn't get into the ground was the 'Sum and Substance.'  The
pot tag said to allow for it to get 2' tall and about the same wide.  The
one I remember at a local hospital and at the adult day care facility mother
attended were much larger...at least 3'X3'.  However, some of the articles
on the web had put it at nearly 4' tall and up to 6' in diameter for a
mature plant.  So just how much room should I give this beauty?  What has
been your experience with 'Sum and Substance?'  I plan to put it on the SE
corner of the walkway that goes around the house, outside a stately old elm.
It will get full morning sun, but then mottled shade there after.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)