From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 10:10 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - shopping note

Yeah... I think the country of origin statement applies only to the last
link in the manufacturing process. That is, I don't think they have to
indicate in pet food contents that the wheat gluten or the chicken
snouts came from China or anywhere else. I remember years ago that some
cassette makers used to label their products "assembled in Mexico from
components made in America," as though Mexico was somewhere other than
America. But I suppose it satisfied their marketing directors, by jingo!

Be interesting to see what the current "summit" of US Product Safety
folks and Chinese bureaucrats comes up with [in addition, that is, to
their announced intent to set stiffer fireworks and cigarette lighter
standards].

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W