From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:08 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] carex help

I have a favorite Carex called C. conica 'Marginata' aka 'Variegagta'.  The
first one I bought about 4-5 yrs ago filled out, looked good, so I bought
another last year.  The new one filled out quickly and really thrived,
making the first one look a bit puny - but only by comparison.  I dug up the

old one, thinking I'd divide it and try the pieces elsewhere.

Has anyone here tried to divide a Carex?  It's a tight little crown; nothing

to do but cut through it.  When I did, much of it fell apart.  I potted 3
pieces that survived intact but wondered about the fallout.  There were many

little bundles held together by sheaths.  No sign of roots.  Any chance
these can be salvaged?

Yes, I should have looked this up before tackling it, but...I was in the
mood.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5