disgusted

You know, I welcome fall and winter; it always yields to a feeling of renewal in spring. And man, I could use some renewal. I'm cutting the MG Mursery back by 1/2 as many plants because it's too much work for just a few people. We had 15 people on the nursery crew this year for 1500 plants and yet most would do little more than water the plants for 2 weeks during the season, and even then would let the plants collapse from lack of water. They refuse to pull even a single weed. I repeatedly asked for help, scheduled work sessions, asked for their opinions and ideas and got nowhere. I scheduled a meeting for last Mon w/ 2wks notice and only 4 showed up. Today was our workday in the Display Gardens and also in the Nursery and there was just me. Some of the Nursery people were there but they chose to work on the Grounds instead.

I'm not a bad person. I don't yell. I'm friendly and I try to encourage. When I can't get them to do the work, I just end up doing it myself. But this has been a very difficult, time-consuming, and stressful season for me both at work and at home, so a lot just hasn't gotten done at the nursery. We lost Art our "Soil Technician" who mixed the best stuff for us, always had 15-30 pails ready when needed. He got toally fed up with the other MGs (outside the nursery) and quit the program. One woman died. Another had hip replacement surgery. But that still leaves 11. A few are good workers but decided they won't return next year because it takes too much time. (they average about 1-2 hours a week in the nursery) Several others would rather work in other areas of the garens. And 5 of them just never seem to show up; they're always busy with something more important.

So I've asked the Hort Ed for 6 or 7 new people for next year. He said "I'll try to remember to put it on the list." I told him if he doesn't remember, he'll have to close the nursery. I'll give it a try with a new crew, but if it doesn't pan out, I'm outa there....Until, I suppose, the next April. when renewal gets the better of me and I start feeling optimistic again.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5