Today is my sister's birthday. When I asked her what she wanted for her B-Day, she said one of the blueberries we have decided to plant. So that's what I got her and we planted it today.

A few days ago, I picked up a box-load of purple iris rhizomes [who knows what cultivar] on freecycle. We planted some of them today, also. Then I extended the micro-irrigation to a new area and began watering there so we can plant the rest of the iris and get the site ready to add another cherry tree. It's also the area where we want to plant the saffron crocus later this month.

Zucchini is beginning to hit its stride. We have one bush, which is now producing 2-3 fruits a day. I think that's half a bush too many, but what are you gonna do. Yellow straight necks--we have three bushes, which is probably one too many--are also giving us 3-4 nice small fruits a day.

For a slap-dash garden, it's been a good year so far, mostly because I've learned a lot.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'