Re: hibiscus- YO Dave!

Donna, I'm by far no hibiscus expert, have been growing them for many  years
though....thought I'd weigh in here for what it's worth.  I doubt  seriously
that the plant is patented or such, and if it is, you are only doing  it for
your own use, not for resale, so I would not worry about it.

As the Hibiscus age, they do become a bit gnarly looking, and tend to have
weaker wood, and no longer produce the quantity and quality of blooms that they
 used to.  You could do a number of things......cut off the branches at
several inches, on an angle, put rooting hormone powder on the end and plant it
in some soil....keep in a warm, bright area, and moist.  It should root for
you quite easily.   I would do a number to ensure you have one nice  plant at
least.

Not knowing if the Hibiscus is grafted or not, I would save the old plant  as
well.  Most Hibiscus recover well and are rejuvinated by a good hard
pruning.  This forces the plant to go into survival mode, sending out  healthy new
growth.  I would not do this now, since your growing season is  almost over, but
would wait until spring.  In the meantime you have your  cuttings growing, so
if the old plant doesn't survive, you at least have a new  plant.  Come
spring, I'd prune the Hibiscus back quite a bit (above the  graft, if grafted) and
see what happens.

I dont' know if Dave will agree with this, he might have other  ideas.....but
either way it could not hurt to make a few cuttings, to get them  started
while the temperatures are still warm.  Nothing ventured, nothing  gained.
Good luck....
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast/ West Houston

In a message dated 9/9/2008 8:08:31 PM Central Daylight Time,